A motion book is a collection of pages, each page created separately like the page we just created, each page containing its own section of narrative. It’s possible to create a single-page motion book, but multiple pages help define the structure of your narrative. And multiple pages help keep layers and effects from piling up and timelines from getting too complicated.
A project assembles a set of pages to define a motion book. Once you’ve specified the pages you want, you can publish your project. Publishing renders all the page elements in the project into motion book format and uploads the finished motion book to the Madefire cloud where you can view the motion book in the Madefire Reader.
Our simple motion book is short and so has a single page. Put it into a project and publish the project so you can read your motion book.
To Create a Project and Add a Page
1. Click the Home tab to return to the Home control panel.
2. Click “New Project” to create a new project.
A new project tab appears named “New Project” with a set of project controls in the control panel.
3. In the Name text box change “New Project” to “Engine Jump Start” to rename your new project, then click the save button in the upper right corner to save your new project to the cloud.
The project tab name changes to “Engine Jump Start.”
4. Drag the “Engine” image from the assets bar to the “Thumbnail:” box in the project control panel to create a thumbnail image for your project. The thumbnail will represent your motion book in the Madefire Reader.
5. Click the up arrow in the upper left of the assets bar to move the assets view back up to “My library”.
6. Double-click “Recent Pages” in the assets bar to see your created pages (one in this case) in the asset bar.
7. Drag the Jump Start page from the asset bar to the project’s work area.
The Jump Start page appears in the work area as the project’s first (and only) page.
8. Click the save button in the upper right corner to save your new project to the cloud.
You’ve now assembled and saved your project; it’s ready for publication. If you had multiple pages, you would drag them all to the project work area and then rearrange them if necessary to change their order of presentation.
Once you’ve created and saved a project, you can publish it. When the Motion Book Tool publishes a project, it takes all the layers, effects, and assets you’ve assembled within the project, converts them into a format that the Madefire Reader can view, and then saves the whole conversion as a motion book to the Madefire cloud.
The Motion Book Tool publishes a motion book in two formats:
l iOS format is a motion book that appears in the iOS Madefire Reader app. This format is for readers who use an iPhone or iPad.
l Web format is a motion book that appears in the Madefire Reader within a web page. This format is for readers who use a Flash-enabled web browser on any platform, typically a laptop or desktop computer.
To Publish Your Project for both iOS and the Web
1. Check “Publish to Web” at the bottom of the project control panel. (“Publish to iOS” is already checked.)
2. Click “Publish to Madefire”.
A status box appears that reports on project conversion to motion book elements and upload status to the Madefire cloud. When publication is finished, that status box returns a URL to the web version of your motion book.
3. Copy the URL and save it to use later to read your motion book.
You’re done now using the Motion Book Tool and can log out.
To Log Out of the Motion Book Tool
1. Click the “Actions” triangle in the upper right of the Motion Book Tool and choose “Sign out” from the menu.
The Motion Book Tool logs you out and the browser returns to the Motion Book Tool’s log-in page.
Now that you’ve published your motion book in both iOS and web formats, you can view it in both formats.
The web format is ideal for sharing with friends: simply give them the URL to your motion book. They can view it in a Flash-enabled web browser. The iOS format publication is private and enables you to view your motion book in the iOS Madefire Reader app using your private Madefire account.
To View Your Project in a Web Browser
1. Enter your motion book URL in the browser’s navigation bar and press Enter.
The browser displays your motion book.
2. Click your motion book to read it.
To View Your Project in the Madefire Reader on an iOS Device
1. Tap the pull-down menu in upper right of the app, then tap Settings.
The Settings panel appears.
2. Tap “Sign in” under Account.
The Sign In dialog box appears.
3. Enter the account name and password for your Madefire account, then tap “Sign In.”
4. Tap the upper-right pull-down menu again, then tap Development (a new menu item added by your sign-in).
Your motion book icon “Engine Jump Start” appears on the screen.
5. Tap the “Engine Jump Start” icon to select the motion book.
6. Tap “Free” to download your motion book.
Your motion book downloads. When it’s finished, a “Read” button appears.
7. Tap “Read” to read your motion book.